Monuments and sacral objects

Castle of the Pomeranian Dukes in Szczecinek

ul. Mickiewicza 2, Szczecinek

Medieval seat of the dukes. The southern, oldest wing of the castle dates back to the first half of the 14th century and was built on the site of an earlier Slavic stronghold. As a result of alterations from the 16th to the 20th century, the castle did not retain its original character, and other wings were added in the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1606, the castle was elevated to the status of dower of the Dukes of West Pomerania. It was first inhabited by Duchess Anna, widow of Boguslav XIII, then by Duchess Jadwiga Brunswick, widow of Duke Ulrich. In 1653, the castle was taken over by Brandenburg and from then on it began to decline. In the first half of the 18th century, the castle housed a court and a prison, and later a hospital and an asylum. During the Second World War, the old castle wing was probably used as the seat of the Gestapo. After the war, the castle was occupied by the military. Its part now serves as the headquarters of the Regional Directorate of State Forests and an office building. The third, oldest wing, was bought by the City of Szczecinek from a private owner. After extensive revitalisation, it houses a conference centre.

Related routes

Designate the route

Strona przygotowana przez: Amistad

Korzystamy z cookies

Nasza witryna wykorzystuje pliki cookies, w celach statystycznych. Jeżeli nie chcesz, by były one zapisywane na Twoim dysku zmień ustawienia swojej przeglądarki. Więcej na ten temat...